Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Kitchen painting project





This past weekend, I started painting my kitchen cabinets. I got some barn red paint and a new brush ~ then started. Opening the can was scary. It looked SO bright - and red. Too red. But I started anyways.
I started with one section of the kitchen, as I can't fit all the doors on the floor at the same time. The paint dried darker ~ thankfully! It's such a change, I'm having a hard time adjusting to it. I think I can live with the color, but I think it could be a shade darker. My husband wouldn't like another shade darker. What I'm not so keen on, is the sheen to the paint. It's a semi gloss, but it sure is shinier than most semi glosses. Way too shiny for me.




Since I'm not sure what to do next, I'll stop and think about it. Do I keep using the same paint, then go over the cabinets with some type of matte clear finish? Do I finish painting to use the paint to cover the blue, then switch to a different sheen paint? The photos make it look a lot nicer. I think the sheen shows all the imperfections in the cabinets and makes it look cheaper. Luckily, I've been working at my phone job, so it's kept me busy ~ and not thinking about paint. It think my lesson learned is to buy those paint samples and try it out. If I do decide to go over the cabinets with another paint, I WILL buy a test sample!


This next section is for Robin, at Bird in the Hand Primitives. Robin is the one that drew the graphic for my last snowman punch project. Here's an a idea for landscaping:


Have a corner "anchor" bush on the left front corner of the house. Plant a few small bushes (large leaf boxwood)in a set of 3 in the front, and possibly the side of the front step (maybe some mini globe arborvitae). Fill in the rest of the area with some perennials, and other decorations (birdhouse, birdbath, etc) You will have to dig up the grass that comes all the way to the house. Lay out a garden hose (better than string/rope) to mark the curved edges of the beds. The side of the house could be perennials. Maybe alternate with 3 heucherras/coral bells, and mums. I know the photo isn't clear, but I'm trying to do this before I forget. I hope this helps you!



No comments: