Thursday, July 22, 2010

How to make cording ~ tutorial


I was asked how to make the cord edging for punch needle projects. It's not big secret, and is very simple to do! Plus, it gives your projects a customized look, as the cording matches the exact threads in the project. I first start with my finished punch project. This is one that I'm just finishing.
I cut away the extra weavers cloth, and left approx 1/2-3/4" around the edges. I turn them under, miter the corners, steam press, and lightly tack them in place with some thread (any color will do, as it doesn't show).


I now have the project ready to add cording.

Take a skein of floss, and measure around the outside of the project. Add in extra length for tying the ends and a bit extra. I usually leave several inches on each end as extra. It's better to have extra, than not enough! Take that length (do not cut yet) and double it. NOW you can cut it. That piece of floss should be over twice the circumference of the project.


Now cut an extra 3 pieces of floss, and put them together. (If you want the cording to be thicker, simply add more pieces of floss. I generally use 4, sometimes 5.) Tie together with a small knot in each end, as close to the end as possible.


Find a place to secure one end ~ a cabinet knob, or I use a key in a china cabinet. I put one end over the key, take the other end, and twist. Keep twisting until the floss gets twisty. Then, take the end that you're holding, and match it up with the other end. The floss will automatically twist itself into a cord. This will cut the length of the cord in half, which is why you use double the length when measuring.




If there's any imperfections, simply run your fingers over the floss to fix.


You will now have a nice coordinating edge for your project. I like to start with the bottom right corner of my project, and hand stitch it on.

I take the needle from back to front, and place the tacking stitch about 1 row into the punch project.

When I get to the end, I put a few tacking stitches to secure the cord, and snip the end off.

You now have a cord edge!

No comments: