Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whatcha Working on Wednesday


This is what I'm currently working on - a penny rug for spring. After tearing out some stitching, and re-doing it, I can finally start working on the tabs to finish it. It's a LOT more work to take a stitchery pattern and try to make it into a penny rug. The overlapping wool pieces aren't the issue, it's deciding on floss and colors. Then it's the size of floss ~ do I go with the size 8 or 12 or 5? Do they make it in the color I want in the size I want? It's all trial and error, as there are no rules to follow. But, it's fun to see the end results.


Now that I've started accumulating pearl cotton floss, I don't have a storage container for it. I have all my regular floss on those cardboard floss winders, and in a larger plastic storage box (and an extra ziploc bag for all the new skeins). But these larger spools of pearl cotton are a different thing to store. I ended up putting them into some mason jars, and leaving them on an antique secretary in my living room. The quilt shop where I buy some wool has their floss displayed like this, so I took the idea and am using it at home. It's easy to see the colors. Now to expand the "collection" so I don't have to keep going back to the store!

No comments: