Sunday, January 3, 2010

What did I do on my Christmas vacation?

I've had 2 weeks off, and it's now time to get back to school. It's going to be tough to get up early again, and make sure the kids are out the door. Lunches are packed, and backpacks are by the door. During my 2 weeks off, I managed to finish my goose sign. The stain that I first applied didn't adhere to where the wood glue was. So, it was back to sanding, and re-staining. I really darkened it up,but it's hard to tell, as the flash put a lot of light on it. I decided to hang it in the family room. There was a bare wall in the video game corner that needed something to coordinate with the rest of the outdoorsy stuff. I thought it went well with the duck and fish prints on the other wall.
I had found another wood sign at a thrift store early in December. It was really white, but really cute. So, for $3.50 it made it home with me. After cleaning the spider webs/eggs off it (literally), I decided it needed some stain. I used the dark walnut gel stain, but the entire white part turned tan. It wouldn't rub off, as the wood was too rough. I decided it wasn't ruined, but needed to try to undo part of the stain. I took some steel wool and fine sand paper, and gently sanded the white paint. It did the trick, and I loved how it turned out! The stain gave it some color, and the sanding gave it more of a distressed look. I decided to put this sign in my downstairs hallway.


During my Christmas vacation, I've also spent some time stitching a few candle mats - yet to be finished. I'm hoping to get the finishing touches on them this week. I've started a couple Valentine mats, St. Patrick's Day mat, and even and Easter candle mat. I made a set of 5 (only 3 shown) Valentine lollipop bowl fillers. The are sprinkled with German glass glitter that really sparkles in the light. I'm going to list them on Ebay this week, as well as the pattern. It's a great way to use up scraps of pink, white and red material.


It's now back to the regular routine of kids, school, and errands. The Christmas trees have been taken down. The only items yet to be taken down are the outside wreath and the icicle lights on the front of the garage, that are now frozen in ice to the roof. It's not going to warm up anytime soon, so they might be up there a while! I hope everyone has enjoyed their Christmas!

No comments: