Thursday, January 28, 2010

Still working


I'm still working on the hornbook for the punch needle. I didn't like how the first layer of paint and stain turned out. So, I sanded, painted, sanded, and stained again. I like the results this time. The first time I used the dark walnut stain, which was a bit too dark for the tan paint. The second time, I used an early American stain, which is just a tad lighter in color. It was the bottom of the can for the stain, and some of the stain began to gel at the bottom. It was perfect for staining over paint! Once this dries, I can coat it with an acrylic sealer, then attach my needlework. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

I received some goodies in the mail today. I ordered a couple patterns for some wool penny rug/candle mats. I'll have to see what wool I already have, and what I need to get. I might try over dyeing some, but I can always get 1/8 yds at a local quilt shop.

I also got the summer camp registration in the mail for Rachel! She now has to see if anyone she's met is going this summer. She could sign up for jr high, or high school camp. So, she'll be the oldest or the youngest, depending on which she wants to do. Either way, she'll have fun. Since we aren't planning any vacations this summer, her vacation will be summer camp. Andrew and Matt go to Boy Scout camp, and James isn't sure he wants to go to camp. He might want to wait another year, which is fine with me! I don't think I could last a week without him. :)

Glad that tomorrow is Friday. I'm hoping it's warmed up enough to get the kids outside for recess. The past 2 days we've been indoors, and I don't think the kids will like having 3 days straight of indoor recess. I've been giving a lot of thought of what I want to do next school year. The school where I work is closing. James is moving on to the next school for graded 5/6. I would like a job with different hours, but still flexible - almost impossible in the job market. But for now, I'll put more energy into crafting and see where that goes. At least it will keep me busy, and doing something that I enjoy!

No comments: