Sunday, August 8, 2010

Done stenciling and a Goodwill find


I'm done painting and stenciling the kitchen! Yipee!! It wasn't too difficult to choose the stencil I wanted. Once the practice designs were taped up on the wall, I immediately chose this dogwood border. It seems to flow, and open the kitchen.


It's from Liberty Design Company, and comes from an 18th century house. I used blue for the vines, and rookwood red for the flowers. I shaded the center of each flower to give it more depth. I'm happy the way it turned out. I've done enough stenciling that I just grab the paint, a couple brushes, and start.

I went to Goodwill this afternoon, and stumbled across this dry sink. It's sturdy, still put together well, but needs a little attention.
The top is layered in copper, which has been, well, not kept. The photo makes it look good, so it's not in great shape. I'm going to get some Flitz polish and see if that will clean it up. (Flitz did wonders on Matt's trumpet that I purchased this spring) Once I see if that cleans up (or not) I'll decide on the next step. I can get new copper at Hobby Lobby to cover the old copper, or I can paint over the copper. But, I want to see if it will clean up first. I might paint the entire piece (the wood) with black paint to coordinate with the kitchen table and chairs. Yet another project to keep me busy!

I've also been looking under the kitchen floor. Yep, under. I removed one of the vents, and there are 2 layers of flooring. The top is a "lovely" gold tone no-wax floor that is adhered to a sheet of wood. Under that is a white and green floor. Both great colors ~ if it was 1977 again. The floor is warped (I'm thinking the dishwasher or sink must have leaked - before we purchased the house). But, I'm wondering if both layers of flooring are warped, or just the top. I think I could put down some simple tiles, but I don't do sub flooring. I don't know how difficult it would be to take off the entire top layer to reach the green. Once I start, I would have to continue, so I'll put that project on hold.

Hope you all had a great weekend!



No comments: