Thursday, February 4, 2010
I finally finished the hornbook for the punch needle! I didn't like the way the 2nd attempt at painting/staining turned out, so it took a 3rd try. I guess 3rd try is the charm! It's painted tan, then stained with a darker stain. The punch needle has some of the over dyed floss that I did. It was a very light shade of blue, then over dyed with tan Rit dye. It really blends in for an aged variegated look. No need to age the piece once I'm done punching.
As I was searching for some other material, I had found a small piece of aged cross stitch cloth. I used it to stitch some spring elements, and attached it to the hornbook, too. I attached a string of buttons to finish it off. I just listed this on on Ebay, along with 2 wool penny rug/candle mats.
This is the finish for the chick candle mat. I didn't see any yellow wool at the store, so I used some cream, and dyed it yellow. I'm really getting adventurous with dyes! I still want to enlarge this pattern and make it bigger. It's only 7 1/2" at the widest point. Then, to add a wider border to show off more stitching. But for now, these projects are finished!