Monday, December 26, 2011

Doing "nothing"

Today I did nothing. :) I stayed home, with the exception of driving one kid to a friend's house. Other than that, I watched a movie, and worked on a rug that I started a couple weeks ago. The house and flowers were done with an Oxford rug punch. My hoop isn't big enough to hold the rug tight, so I opted to hook the background. Just need to get some more of the grey plaid wool to finish the border and the binding. The greens are a green plaid, the house was done with 3 different overdyed red plaids, and the flowers were done with 2 of the red plaids. The rood and border are the grey plaid that is under the silver pick in my previous post. The grey plaid really hooks up nicely ~ lots of subtle shading.

This is my youngest and I last evening. We stopped at a local park that gets all decked out in lights and light figures (trains, windmills, ships). One of my teen sons wanted to quickly try his new camera, so James and I posed for photos. No snow on the ground this year, but that's fine with me!
I received my wool for the background of the floral rug. I got a soft black, grey, brown, a brown/green, and khaki. I did try a test strip, and attempted to marry the wools. The before is the lower wools, and the after are the strips on the top of the photo. Not much difference. Not sure if I need to add more black wool when I marry the wools or not. Or if I should just leave them as is and see how it turns out. I'll have to re-work the blues first while I'm debating the next step.

Here are the newer blues for the flowers. A lot more muted/primitive shades. I really like the newer shades of blue!

Then to decide how to attempt the hooking of the background. Do I try one color around all the edges of the flowers and stems? I'm thinking just cut the wool, and randomly pull the strips out of the basket. It's suppose to be primitive, so I just might see what random looks like.

Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas!

~*~ Laura ~*~

3 comments:

annie said...

I love the flowers you are working on, and the first one is just wonderful!

newburyarts said...

*****if those are your background colors...it won't work. there is a
great example of a proper antique black background over on the
twicelovedwoolens.blogspot.com
hope it will help as a visual aid.

newburyarts said...

*****sorry...i forgot to add that the antique black background is a part of the same floral design that your are working on.