Friday, April 8, 2011

Budget Bathroom Makeover


I'm finally able to post a few photos of my budget bathroom makeover. It's a small bathroom on our lower level. Because it's so small, it's hard to get photos. But I tried to take a few. This is the back wall (photo taken to reflect off the sink mirror). I have a simple peg rack that I painted white. It's behind the door, so it hides the towels, and there's just enough room so that the door doesn't hit the peg rack when it's opened.

I painted the walls light blue. The walls were originally off white, so it's a big change to see a color on the walls. (primer is left over from painting my parents bathroom. ceiling paint is left over, too. blue paint is Ace Royal at $25.99. There will be enough to paint the upstairs bath in the same color)I still need to take this old medicine cabinet off and spray paint it. The bottom is worn/rusty, but a coat of spray paint will fix it.
The new brushed nickel light fixture. Same wattage as the old hollywood light bar, but it's brighter. It was a whopping $29.87.

A new toilet seat with brushed nickel hinges for $17.88. We've previously purchased the cheap ones for $5-10, but they didn't last and looked horrible. I'm hoping the next level up will last a little longer. I already had the brushed nickel handles for the cabinets. I just needed paint. I did use a pricey Benjamin Moore for Metal and Wood for $25 a quart. I wanted something substantial since this room has a lot of moisture. (yes, it does have a new fan, but we have one teen who uses this room and hogs all the hot water!)

While painting the ceiling, I had to take down the vent cover. The old one was rusty. I could have spray painted it white, but on the back side, it had some stick on foam that had disintegrated and made it really gross. So, for $ 5.89, I got a new one. This over the toilet cabinet was a freebie from a neighbor who re-did their bathroom. A coat of white paint brightened it up and coordinates with the vanity. I even painted the dark brown baseboards white. I found the trick of caulking the gap between the baseboard and the wall to make a seamless "canvas" to paint. (do I even dare think about painting all the woodwork in the house white?)




I still need to get a new white countertop and faucet. I'll also have to look for a new kleenex box holder. My son, Matt, wants to install some new pure white electrical switches/wallplates. After we get the new counter/faucet, I plan in framing the mirror with some white trim. I'll also need a small something for the wall to decorate. It can't be a framed print (too much moisture), or anything that sticks too far out into the room. Maybe some type of wooden painting/sign?

So, for a little over $100 so far (and a lot of time), it looks like a new room. The biggest expense will be a new counter and faucet ~ the faucet being the most expensive item to purchase. Now to think about getting started on the upstairs bathroom....

Earlier this week, I caught another squirrel and relocated it. This was the one who was really determined to chew through the screens on our deck and build a nest. I haven't seen any more trying to get in, so I"m hoping that's all we have to catch.

It's suppose to warm up here in the Chicago area this weekend ~ I can't wait!

~*~ Laura ~*~

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey, how about a tiled piece of art? My brother got me a really nice angel made of tile one year. You can sometimes find old tiles at antique stores or flea markets...add a little bracket and you're good to go. The tile would hold up even better than wood.
Courtney

Michele said...

Laura...it looks fabulous! You did such a good job! And to think most people gut their bathrooms and start over, spending thousands of dollars (I can't even imagine spending money like that on a bathroom!)...look what you did for $100! Love it! =0)

Unknown said...

網頁設計 網路行銷 關鍵字廣告 關鍵字行銷 餐飲設備 製冰機 洗碗機 咖啡機 冷凍冷藏冰箱 蒸烤箱 關島婚禮 巴里島機票 彈簧床 床墊 獨立筒床墊 乳膠床墊 床墊工廠 產後護理之家 月子中心 坐月子中心 坐月子 月子餐 銀行貸款 信用貸款 個人信貸 房屋貸款 房屋轉增貸 房貸二胎 房屋二胎 銀行二胎 土地貸款 農地貸款 情趣用品 情趣用品 腳臭 長灘島 長灘島旅遊 ssd固態硬碟 外接式硬碟 記憶體 SD記憶卡 隨身碟 SD記憶卡 婚禮顧問 婚禮顧問 水晶 花蓮民宿 血糖機 血壓計 洗鼻器 熱敷墊 體脂計 化痰機 氧氣製造機 氣墊床 電動病床 ソリッドステートドライブ USB フラッシュドライブ SD シリーズ