Sunday, March 18, 2012

Side tracked

I've been side tracked the past couple weeks. My plans for finishing my rug have been postponed. My rug hooking teacher, Debbie, will be doing a hookers gathering at the store. There's only 2 guilds in the Chicago area, so maybe time for a 3rd? We'll see how many sign up (besides me!). To get students interested, Debbie designed a pattern to be given as a freebie at the class. I received an advance copy. It's just a drawing ~ no borders. I have NO idea what Debbie will do with her rug, or what type of border she will hook. The idea will be to show how ideas can be interpreted.

I needed some green wool for the leaves and stems. So, I got out my dye this week and dyed up some apple green wool. Just slightly mottled, and a very springy color.


I'm using my very mottled red wool for the flowers and scalloped border. Once I started hooking it, I think I made it a bit too mottled. But, I now know for next time how much to mottle. The background will be a black of some sort. I was thinking of buying some of the reversible black stripe that I've seen. I might do an outer border beyond the scallops. A row of the gold, and then several rows of green? I'll wait to see how it looks before I add the extra.

(please don't look at the ends that still need to be trimmed!) I added a couple different green/brown wools to the leaves. The box of worms that I got sure came in handy! Just having some contrast in the leaves helps to give the piece some "kick".

Chuck has been enjoying all this warm weather we've had this week. It's currently 79 degrees ~ again. I did yard work today, but the yard waste pick up doesn't begin until April 1. So, all my bags of dead leaves will have to wait a couple weeks to be picked up.

I now officially have 2 teens with driver's licenses. One more to go....

One more week until spring break for me. I think I'll enjoy having a week off work, even though I don't get paid.

~*~ Laura ~*~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loooove your rug!!! The greens and reds are so pretty. Mine is very different from yours so this is going to be a great reveal for the ladies at the Gathering! Thanks so much for doing this!!!