Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hoping for Snow

While thinking about my floral rug, I started a snowman rug. Its was in an older issue of Create and Decorate. I've always admired the hooked rugs, and kept certain patterns in mind. (I've also used them for punch needle) I used a tan/grey/brown mini plaid for the scarf. This plaid was previously a Talbots skirt that I found at a thrift store for cheap. Because the plaid is so small, it hooks up very textured/bumpy looking. I'm not sure that I like the brown for the twig arms. It's a piece of reclaimed coat wool. I have a darker piece of brown that I might try on the other arm and compare them. I also needed a light pink for the cheeks. All I had was some left over hand dyed wool from a penny rug.

I also needed a light pink for the cheeks. All I had was some left over hand dyed wool from a strawberry penny rug. I was thinking the pink was a bit too deep, so I tried some dyeing without dye. I threw the piece of pink wool into a pot with some off white wool, and let it simmer. I now have a light pink wool to try. (I'm getting closer to really trying some dying)

I got home from work today, and found a package that I had ordered from Designs in Wool! More wool. Dark, primitive wool. I really like the wool on the right. I can't wait to see how it hooks up. The wool on the left I wasn't sure about when I ordered it, but am giving it a try. It's so much darker than in the photo when I ordered, which is a good thing. It's a dark blue, but almost looks black. It might give a different color once it's cut and next to the other darks. (thanks for suggesting it, Mary) Now to wash it to full it, cut, and hook.


I also ordered a cream/beige plaid. It has softer colors than I expected, but again, that's a good thing. I want to use it for the snowman and have subtle variations.

All this new wool will keep my busy. All I need is a snow day tomorrow, but it's not gonna happen. We do have a winter storm heading our way tomorrow, but not enough to close schools. But, I can hope.

~*~ Laura ~*~

1 comment:

Michelle~Sugar House Creations said...

I have a few pattersn from old C&D mags as well. Your snowman looks great. I love the bumpy look you have going on. Definitely give dyeing a try. I've only done it once and it was fun!