Saturday, September 10, 2011

Re-working



Though I haven't posted this week, I've at least thought about it and took a few photos! I ended up re-working the wing on my bird rug. I switched the color scheme by using red for the wing and grey for the inside. I did a little outlining of the wing and the squiggly inside wing area. I think the contrast in the colors is a bit better now. I've blocked it, and now just need to bind it.



I won a giveaway on Ann's blog http://aholeinthebasketprimitives.blogspot.com/ !! It's a rug hooking pattern designed by Buttermilk Basin. I can't wait to get to do this project, especially now that I know how to transfer patterns onto monks cloth. Thanks so very much, Ann!

This week I transferred a pattern onto monks cloth for the first time. When I ordered my wool cutter, I asked for some red dot transfer paper. They didn't carry the red dot, but suggested a product called crack stop. I decided to give it a try since I haven't used either product before. When I got it, it reminded me of the drywall repair tape that I've used, but it a large roll. That's exactly what it is! One side has a slight adhesive on it, so that it sticks to the backing and doesn't move. I first put it over the paper pattern that I had and traced using a Sharpie marker.


I lifted the crack stop off the paper, then placed it on the monks cloth. It held with no movement, even when I was tracing.

When finished tracing, I peeled the crack stop off the monks cloth, and viola ~ the pattern was on the backing!



I now have the next pattern ready to go. (don't look at the line on the right side of the backing. The directions said to draw a rectangle a certain size, and once I did, the floral design didn't fit inside of the rectangle. So, I ended up enlarging the rectangle.) Now to zig zag the edges, cut my wool, and start hooking!



Yesterday was Andrew, Matt and Rachel's 16th birthday! Hard to believe it's been 16 years since they were born. There was a home football game, so we went to see Matt in the marching band. He's one of the trumpet players up front.

Today was a family birthday party for my trio. They now have money to spend, so we'll see how quickly they spend it!

~*~ Laura ~*~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you find crack stop? Someone recommended it to me as well and I haven't found a store that has it in a width wider than a few inches...

appleberrycottage said...

I found mine at . I thought I would give it a try since I was ordering my cutter at the time. You can call her at the phone # listed, and shipping is prompt! I'll have to check local stores to see if they carry it, but I wouldn't think the wider width is too common for Home Depot/Menards.
Laura