Saturday, March 15, 2014

I'm still here



It's been a few months since I've posted. Life is getting in the way. Between work and all the snow. Lots and lots of snow. The Chicago area has hit the 3rd most snow on record for the winter (and there's still the possibility of more). I'm thankful I work close to home so that I don't have a long commute in the snow, but am still searching for a different job. The place I'm currently at isn't my "forever" job.

I managed to finish the quilt for James this week. I bought a Viking even feed foot. It works SO much better than my last one. I stitched in the ditch using a cream thread to match the quilt backing material. I'm not crazy about stitch in the ditch, but it was a learning process. The next project will have some free motion quilting. I took a class last month to learn how to free motion.

This month's class was a machine applique class. I took this stack of material:

And turned it into this:

It's all fused on the background. I now need to either zig zag or blanket stitch it down. I have got a new clear open toe foot for my machine, so I'm all set to experiment.

After this project, I need to go back to a rug I started, but gave up on. I need to re-work the colors. I love when I finish up all the project I have been working on. Then it will be finding new ones.

 I'll use crafts as my therapy. I just finished the FAFSA for college finances. Gulp. I had filled out an estimated one, and just did the official. Our estimated contribution went up by 2000 per student. We had received one estimated financial offer from a college. It was eye opening. I can't imagine going into debt that far for college loans. I would love to hear how others handle the expenses. (without winning the Lotto).

I'm off to start sewing on my applique project.

Laura


No comments: